Brown Rice Arancini with Chunky Tomato Sauce
Arancini is traditionally made with arborio, which is a white rice. Brown rice is so much healthier and has a wonderful al dente texture that feels more satisfying as a meal solution. Forming the Arancini around a cube of fresh mozzarella provides your family with a nice melty surprise in the center. This recipe is delicious when served simply with our Tomato Basil soup with some colorful cherry tomatoes simmered-in.
For the Arancini:
- Combine the rice, cheese, and parsley in a medium bowl with 2 of the beaten eggs.
- Vigorously mix together with a wooden spoon until the rice mixture gets a little sticky and can hold together when you form a ball.
- Divide the mixture into four equal portions and work each portion into the shape of a flat patty that fits your hand.
- Place a cube of mozzarella into the center of each patty, then surround the cube with the mixture. Press to form a ball.
- Roll each ball into the remaining beaten egg, then roll in the panko bread crumbs.
- Choose a pot large enough to hold four Arancini comfortably with just enough oil to cover -- about 3 to 4 cups of oil.
- Heat the oil to 350-degrees, then carefully add the Arancini and cook for 8 to 9 minutes until very nicely browned.
- Serve with chunky tomato sauce and garnish with a sprig of fresh parsley or oregano
- Heat a skillet over medium heat.
- Add the oil, onions, and garlic, then sauté two to three minutes or until softened and fragrant.
- Add the soup, reduce the heat, and bring to a simmer.
- Stir-in the fresh herbs, and adjust the seasoning with salt and pepper. If you prefer some zip.
TIP: If you would like your sauce to have some “zing,” add a pinch of red-pepper flakes when sautéing the onions and garlic.
For the Arancini:
- 2 cups cooked brown rice, cooled
- 3/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese, packed
- 1/4 cup parsley
- 3 eggs — beaten
- 4 each 3/4-inch cubes fresh mozzarella
- 1 cup panko or regular breadcrumbs
- Canola oil for frying
For the Chunky Tomato Sauce:
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1/2 tsp minced fresh garlic
- 8 ounces sliced, colorful, cherry tomatoes (large diced large tomato)
- 2 cups Wholesome Crave tomato basil soup, simmered for ten minutes
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley leaves
- 2 tablespoons fresh oregano leaves
- Salt and pepper to taste